In this course, you’ll create a pair of basic leather lace-up boots for your own feet based on personal measurements you provide in advance of the course. Patterns will be drafted for you in accordance with these measurements. Leave a note with your shoe size at checkout.
In this challenging four-day course, students will learn the foundation for most theatrical or street styles of shoes and expand on the following skills:
- Discover the anatomy of a boot and learn how all the parts fit together
- Cut pieces of leather for the upper of the boots, and sew them together
- Attach insoles to the lasts and pull the leather uppers over the lasts
- Add soles and heels to the boots
The end product will be a pair of boots students can proudly wear home.
Note: Students will be required to use machinery such as industrial sewing machines and power tools. Physical dexterity is required.
Classes run Tuesday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
This course is ideal for those who want to learn how to build costumes for community theatre, cosplay, or everyday clothing.
In this two-day intro to Theatrical Sewing class students will learn basic sewing skills and expand on:
- bodice with piping
- hand hemming
- hand-sewn snaps and closures
- darts and princess seams
- bias binding
- and quick changing shirts.
Students are to bring some supplies of their own: Basic sewing kit- scissors, thimbles, straight pins, shears, snips, rulers, and measuring tape. You may bring your own sewing machine if preferred, OTW has a few in the studio.
Classes run Saturday and Sunday, 9am-5pm.
This one-week course is designed for artists who have either finished our introductory scenic painting class or painters who would like to use their skills to GO BIG. It is ideal for those seeking careers in theatrical painting.
The methods, shortcuts and secrets used by the professional scenic artist, spanning hundreds of years, are explained, giving you the opportunity to execute and take away your own piece of theatrical art.
Learn and expand on the following skills in this hands-on intensive course:
- Start with a designer’s vision and work toward a finished set piece;
- Solve problems typical with materials, tools and paints;
- Build an image in stages on a large scale in the continental style; and
- Build confidence with tools found only in a scene painting shop.
Note: Students will be required to bend, squat, stand for long periods at a time, and sit on the floor. Physical dexterity is required.
Registration fee includes materials.
Classes run Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Learn and expand on the following skills:
- Train in the use and safe handling of painting materials and tools;
- Learn about colour theory;
- Gain confidence mixing scenic paints;
- Acquire skills in chemical compatibility;
- Experiment with marbling techniques;
- Create brick and concrete facades;
- Develop wood graining skills;
- Create effective aging and break down; and
- Paint using many different methods on different materials.
At the end of this course, you will have examples of all of these facades and techniques that you may take home with you.
The low student-to-teacher ratio in each of these courses ensures instruction is geared to the participant’s skill level and experience. Please indicate your related experience when you register.
Registration fee includes materials.
Classes run Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
Practice and expand on the following behind-the-scenes skills:
- Create an effective and useful properties breakdown sheet;
- Discuss how to build a prop suited to the needs of a production;
- Learn from daily demonstrations using different materials and techniques;
- Create a small-scale sculpture with Plasticine;
- Explore several methods of mold making;
- Build a foam prop weapon using a variety of materials and techniques;
- Create a sampler of fake prop food;
- Utilize our vacuum form machine;
- Train in the safe and effective use of power tools and equipment;
- Learn to create props in an efficient and cost-effective manner; and
- Create a number of props that are yours to keep at the end of the course.
The low student-to-teacher ratio in each course ensures instruction is geared to the participant’s skill level and experience. Please indicate your related experience when you register.
Registration fee includes materials. Classes run Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.